Dating in aberdeenshire

To help celebrate the region’s built environment in 2016, the Scottish Government’s Year of Innovation Architecture & Design, the Council’s Archaeology Service invited Councillors and staff working with the historic built environment to nominate their favourite building or built structure in Aberdeenshire.

The buildings and monuments of Aberdeenshire help to shape the region and define its character.

The house is built on a square plan of three storeys over a raised basement with advanced corner towers, breaking eaves, and with domed roofs and cupolas.

Duff House is a bit of an underappreciated hidden gem.

Sir Walter Scott, a trustee of the Board, visited the site, and refused permission for the demolition.

A compromise was reached in which the lighthouse was built inside the castle, protruding through the roof of the medieval castle, leaving the outside walls of the castle unaltered.

One of the finest examples of William Adam architecture in Scotland also one of the finest examples of baroque architecture in Scotland.

On a side note it is also the new home of the Scottish Traditional Skills Centre. A striking landmark on Seaforth Street, the conical spire, decorated with ornate spirelets, differs markedly from others in the town.The building was restored and converted into residential use with the help of the Banff THI project, HLF and Historic Scotland funding.Nominated by Councillor John Cox The Boatshed Portsoy // NJ 5894 6627 // AB45 2QR The Boatshed comprises two stone-built former store buildings, dating originally from the 19 Century but which had lain derelict for a number of years, that have recently been renovated and converted for use into a community boat building centre for the Scottish Traditional Boat Festival group.Warld's End Dalrymple Street, Fraserburgh // SMR Ref: NJ96NE0036 // NJ 9985 6678 // AB43 9BH Townhouse, dating from the 18th Century.Owned originally by John Gordon of Glenbuchat, one of the key Jacobite commanders in the '45.The foundation stone for the house was laid in 1735, and the building completed in 1749.

Tags: , ,